Monday, June 22, 2009

Leaving...

Ok, so I exactly haven’t left Abu Dhabi, but left to return in about two to three weeks. Before leaving, I had an important last minute gift to buy for my uncle, so I left office a little early to catch a taxi to the mall.

The sun was shining in my eyes and I could barely see. The scorching heat was leaving me exhausted and dehydrated. No sign of a taxi made me want to cry. Really, as it is taxis are not many, and to add to our woes, during summers, the taxi drivers prefer driving only at night! After having waited a good while, I got a taxi and also found my gift after a little extra mall hopping (in the sun again!).

I returned to my apartment with a pounding headache. I was absolutely uncomfortable, and felt very pukish. Just then my colleague-friends came in to give me some stuff to take back. They found me in this terrible state, Cute-Geetha rushed to make me tea, got me a painkiller quickly, while freaky-preethi (these are names we have given them out of atmost sarcasm) sat with me all the time and massaged my head. Slowmo (trust me, he is snail slow…) finished all my last minute packing. I was just lying down all the while. They ordered food; they laid out everything perfectly for me. All I had to do was to get ready and fly out! I was up and running in no time. I was so touched...

As I sat in the taxi and saw them off, I was almost fighting back tears. I was overwhelmed with how much these guys did for me in such little time. I felt lucky to be amongst my own people. It’s bliss to have someone by your side especially when you are away from home.

My friend once told me that I forget to make my friends feel important. So thank you to all of you for just being on your toes that night so that I could go safely. All that concern is priceless. And it simply means a lot to me. :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I did so much for you and not even a single blog post about that ? You don't even remember all those nice generous things I did for you.. spent my time, money and efforts just to make YOU happy ?? What all have I NOT done for you ? Just for that lil smile on ur face ! Sob.. not even a line about it ! Mera dil khoon ke aansoo ro raha hai !!

Gagan said...

1. time : Seriously Abhinav, you did not have any left after sleeping like 20 hrs a day.
2. Money : apart from the 7k we spoke about recently, I don't think you have any other source of income.
3. Effort : Come come Abhinav, we all now how you have almost never made an effort for anything. Everything simply falls in your lap

Unknown said...

Why, you ungrateful little what-not !! I was hoping you'd say a "Thank You" and we could be decent about it ! But now that it's all out in the open.. let's splash mud !! I demand all those food court coupons that I distinctly remember lending you for gorging on paneer cheese sandwiches ! I demand compensation (in monetary terms or in kind) for those several hours that I spent helping u.. when u were down in the dumps.. with no other hope but ME ! I do my billing in dollars.. mailing u the exact amount now.. will accept payment in Rupees at current exchange rate or $1=Rs. 55 whichever is higher !!

Sandwich Board said...

Didn't you think of the times in school when I polished your shoes every single day, carried your bag loaded with unwanted books and the neatly packed lunch bag, infact, carried "you" down the road each time u threw tantrums to go to your favourite aunt's place!!!
I deserve a post too!

Archu said...

nicely written Gagan ! your vocabulary is fantastic! :)

Sandeep said...

Awww Gangan. Group hug!!

Preethika said...

Oh that's so sweet of you Gaggu!!! huggs sweetie... As I said the other day, this is wat friends are for!

vinay said...

Thank God that your friends don't live in a material world where money or status always plays a pivotal role
in making friendship and in material world friendship is a zero sum game give and take there is no room for word help...