Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Could i speak to Mr. Gun Gun

In a Sikh's household, soon after the birth of a baby, the naming ceremony is held at the Gurudwara. A name starting with the first letter of the shabad of the holy hukam (command) should be proposed by the granthi (man in attendance of Guru Granth Sahib), and after its acceptance by the congregation, the name should be announced by him.

It so happened that in my case they bent a rules a bit and my uncle named me... so here I am... Gagandeep Arneja! My name has and will go a long way in making me the sport I am (Thankyou :) ) But for the life of me I cant remember more than two or three (if i stretch) people, who could pronounce my name as it is supposed to be! (As pavan says - In your face suckers!)
There are many common deviations to it - Ganga, gungun, gangdeep, gaga and the list knows no end... In fact I even got my first internship pay cheque with one of these on it.

Here is what people are capable of making out of my name:

I'm in the training room on a fine morning and an HDFC representative rings me up.
Me: Yes?
HDFC: Can I Could I Could I speak to Mr. Gun - Gun - deep ?
(All the Can I's to get time enough to pronounce this extremely complex name)
Me: Speaking (what else could i say !!)
HDFC: (Baffled, still expecting a man on the other side) Mr. Gun - Ga?
Me: (going beet red) YES!!!!!!!
HDFC :Is this Mr. Ganga ?
Me: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HDFC: (switches to a language he is more comfortable with) Idu ladies aa gents aa?
Me: (I'm in training...ten people around..how can i get myself to say.. I'm a lady speaking) Kiwi kelsalva?
Rest as they say is history.

Anyways, after i was born and before i was officially named, i was given a pet name - Preeti. Just when I thought this could be my hot back up...yes this is what i can tell people when they ask me "What is your name?”,I came across this.

Here is how you pronounce my name -
gag - say gun replacing the n sound with the g sound.
an - remember how they taught us way back in school that it is "an" ice cream.

That should be enough! :)

24 comments:

Preethi said...

hehe.. that was very funny, ms. gun gun!!

neeta said...

Really funny and very true also :-)

neeta said...

Good work ya Juggi!!!!

Unknown said...

Juggz.. talk about people not being able to pronounce names correctly... the number of people who raise their eyebrows on hearin my name!!!!!! and then the series of questions tht follow... good lord!

Pavan said...

So, Miss.Gunjun, we are calling from Blue Dart. That sense of humour you'd ordered is finally here. Please sign and collect.

Unknown said...

Hey.. Ganga .. oops.. sorry GAGAN.. how can u forget the Oracle Phone Directory incident ?? PPL.. for ur info.. good 'ol Gagandeep was officially registered as GANGADEEP on oracle's phone directory. (She DID manage to get it corrected later ! SPOILSPORT ! We were having such fun searching for GANGADEEP n dialing her number :P).

Oh.. and a little trivia here.. "Gagandeep" is also a second name !

----End of Comments---

There ! You got my comments on your blog ! Now stop pinging me to read it again n again !

Pavan said...

This is God calling from Kisko Chahiye Cool Name? I have your friend Sudhindra sitting with me. He feels he needs a cool name to prosper in life. So, can you please tell you friend Pavan to lend his name for sometime?

PS: I swear this is the last comment mentioning how amazingly, mind-bogglingly, fabulously, great I am.

Unknown said...

To : Blue Dart Services

Kindly cross-check. I don't think the 'humor' package has been delivered yet. Do you have a signed receipt from Miss Gungun ?

Anonymous said...

ha ha....Good article to read in the morning....:)..Had a nice laugh

neeta said...

Hey gagan, you din't mention the Physics lab incident in first year. Remember?

Gagan said...

oh damn!! how could i forget...
VENUE :First year engineering physics lab
SCENE : Attendance time
Teacher : Divya
Divya : Present ma'am
Teacher : GUN-GUN-GA-deep ....
* No reply *
Teacher : GUN-GUN-GA-deep ....
* I have no idea why i just didn't hear that! *
Teacher : Cricket addake hogidane!!!
Poor me : No ma'am I'm right here!

neeta said...

Ok cool you put that up. I have an idea for your next blog. You can write about why we call you "Jaggi" (not because we could not pronounce your name right). I am sure lot of them in class don't know about it ;-)

Ravi Bhatia said...

Its soo cuuuuuuuute ;-) nice to knw u have started blogging makes me feel so happy n relieved. Some of my fears have gone all of a sudden jus caz u started blogging (fears of not dng anythg for last few mnths hehe) jus assures me that im not the only one in OSSI whos jobless hehe nai nai but it was fun gng thru that profile. Also from this profile i have learnt that Ms Arneja has couple more names like preeti n ganga n gagu n gaga n juggu n……n ....many more :-)

Unknown said...

Hey Gagan.. how come you mentioned the Physics lab incident and not the Chemistry lab incident ???

Gagan said...

@abhinav
I swear u say one more thing n u had it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gagandeep u can do better than this...I would have expected a much more worthwhile blog from you....Besides im sure you will learn.... You have a long way to go..
So im hoping for something better!!!
Till then CHEERS!!

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous(Ankur)
Ankur u can do better than
a) Abusing me on my blog
b) Not leaving your name (Scary cat)

WhiteNight said...

I am rolling on the floor... GUN...Ganga!!!!!
BTW that reminds me... since you are now a true blue bengaluru hudugi You shouid perhaps brag a lil about your kannada speaking talent!!
Darn I so wish I could record you speaking in Kannada Man.
Enjoyed those moments of madness with ya.. miss bengaluru, miss you all - I am that unforunate zero away from a phone call to you guys :(

I dont know said...

Sweet....Didin't take you too much time....By the that was the idea!!!
Bugger u gotta improve....Its sad....Upload something which is worth commenting....And me getting scared of you...U must be really nuts to be thinking that!!!Wake up...SURD!!!!!

Archu said...

'naam mein kya hein ? hein to kaam mein'

gagan ,gungun whatever someone calls, you are always sweet, bubbly,hard working,friendly girl :-)

Gagan said...

@Archana
That is so sweet, thanks :)

Preethika said...

Preeti is such a cool, sweet and 'loveable' name.. You should have stuck to that...

GUN-GUN-GA - LOL!!!!

Anonymous said...

The writer of gaganuntitledsofar.blogspot.com has written a superior article. I got your point and there is nothing to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not disagree with: There are fewer than 6328 Universal Truths I will be back.

Anonymous said...

I intended to create you a little bit of word to give thanks again just for the pleasing principles you have shown on this website. It has been so unbelievably open-handed of people like you in giving openly what exactly most of us might have offered as an ebook in making some money for themselves, specifically considering that you could have done it in case you decided. The smart ideas additionally acted to be the fantastic way to fully grasp that other individuals have similar keenness just as my own to know the truth a little more with regard to this problem. I am sure there are many more pleasurable sessions ahead for individuals who read through your forum post.