Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Where's mine ?

She warned me - “Raje, you have never made mooli paratha, it’s not as easy as aloo paratha”.
I laughed… What? I wouldn’t be good with a paratha? I??
So I made the stuffing, and was all set to make the paratha… the best radish parathas ever! I had to make about ten - not a big deal really! I started, overconfidence stabbed me in the back, and I screwed up! The first two were nothing short of a disaster! How does mom do it? So perfectly, so tasty, so oil-free and yet so yummy? I tried, this time, a little differently, and – Not bad – This one was good, except, it was pale (one out of ten) compared to moms! And then Mom came, almost laughed up her sleeve, trying not to let down all that confidence oozing out of the dabbler, and showed me the tricks. And perfect - I got the next few right!

A good cook always adds love. Maybe that’s why, I always keep the best ones on the top, and up for grabs. But this time, self-love came first, and I so wanted to taste the better ones, just to see if they were like moms (of course, what did you think? I wouldn’t eat for myself :P). One tangerine, one orange and I would be done with the juice, to dive into my paratha’s. Sadly, when I was done, the last two awful ones remained, and I shoved them down my throat with lots of water!! We could have managed with a turkey or something for Christmas !!

Edit - Due to popular demand -
Raje - Used in Punjabi, to generally refer to a pampered little one.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It's okk Gagan - just cause you made two horrible first parathas followed by eight lesser horrible ones, is no reason to get disappointed :)

It's the Xmas season - Enjoy and be happy ! HO HO HO !

Merry Xmas !

I dont know said...

Well, lemme say this...no one is perfect....but good ur trying to get there...it is the effort that matters...and patience and perseverence will surely get u there...Its all about trying..."try and try till u succeed"...I guess this should summarize those spoilt parathas.....

Gagan said...

@Ankur n Abhinav

My best friend "bad luck" is a bit tired today. So one more nasty and sarcastic comment, and my best friend will be on his way. Basically he goes where ever I send him, so watch out ! You could stop him, you really could !

I dont know said...

hmmmm.....so u caught the sarcasm...hey but u still dint get the bigger picture.....or u decided to ignore it???

Pavan said...

You can cook? I thought that was the joke. Then I read on to see that there was more to it. I dint know why you had to continue anyway. :D

Well, love makes food good. True. But only when the ingredients are the right ones and of the right quantities. Love also guides people towards good food. Love towards food i.e.

Ravi Bhatia said...

Raje made parathas ;) kya baat hai this is news for me bigger news than Modi sworn in as chief minister for third time :P I can see you online right now that means u have survived after having them thats great so next time when i come thr i can prbly dare to risk my life :P .Waise i had heard(ofcourse frm u who else :P) that you are a good cook, parathye is jus too easy a challange for you :)